|Request a date - Jun 02 2017||Lagos||1 week||₦ 210,000|
|Aug 21 2017 - Aug 25 2017||Lagos||1 week||₦ 210,000|
This course covers the importance topic of accounting and accountability. Accounting is the core part of governance, which has gained such importance in recent years, especially in developing countries. Civil society organisations have also recognised the importance of public finance, with many of them now being active in the area of budget analysis.
This course is aims to enable you to have a broad understanding of the area to allow you to be able to review and understand the accounts and financial statements produced by governments and other public entities, and to understand the role and scope of audit in the public sector.
Actual practice varies considerably from country to country. So this course concentrates on the international standards for public sector financial reporting. The annual financial statements are a vital aspect of the accountability of the government to the legislature and to the wider society. Reforms of the content and the format of these documents should be assessed on the extent to which the proposals will make the accounts more accessible, more easily understood.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
• Understand the purpose and methods of accounting for public sector entities and governments
• Assess the appropriate accounting base for different types of transaction
• Describe the relationship between types of management controls and types of accounting
• Describe how accounting standards are derived and propounded
• Describe the main accounting standards and understand the differences among them
• Understand the particular accounting problems of transactions that are exclusive to the public sector
• Analyze the various financial management benchmarks and standards that are in operation in the public sector
• Understand the principles and practices of audit in the public sector
• Public Sector Accounting
• What is Public Financial Management?
• The Accounting Bases for Public Sector Financial Reporting
• Workflow and the Accounting Base
• The Role of the International Public Sector Accounting Standards Board
• Financial Reporting under the Cash Basis of Accounting
• The Cash Basis IPSAS and the Relevance of Consolidated Accounts for the Public Sector
• Accounting for International Aid
• Budget Reporting Standards
• Application of IFRS to the Public Sector
• IPSAS 1 to 21 – Definitions and Broad Principles
• Interpretation of Financial Statements based on the IPSAS
• Pensions – Employees
• Social Policy Obligations – State Pensions
• PFI and PPP
• Heritage Assets
• PEFA Benchmark for Public Financial Management
• National Accounting Standards
• The Roles and Scope of Public Sector Audit
• Standards and Guidance for Audit in the Public Sector
• Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability (PEFA) – Performance Measurement Framework
• Independence and the Auditor-General
• Audit Sampling
• Audit Reporting
• Value for Money Audit
E-Reader Not Included.
*Course fee is not inclusive of VAT